Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling a long hole in timber

Andy Champ wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Things have moved on. Nobody uses a brace & bit anymore. We have
power tools now. Bits are available to fit them, no need to grind
them down.

Those of use who genuinely are DIY, and have a big stack of hand tools
that Granddad left, still use a brace and bit. I have a full
(imperial!) set of bits in any size you could want. I wouldn't want
to be drilling all day with them, but for the odd hole or two they're
fine.
And I use the brace with an SDS bit to put cable holes on soft block
walls. Not worth getting the power drill out for just one.

And batteries? Tell me the company that sells drills that use
off-the-shelf batteries, not custom packs, and I'll get one.

Not the point really. If you buy a cordless tool part of the decision
involves the batteries, as I learned the hard way. But even cheap cordless
tools come with two batteries, so there is no reason not to have one in use
& one on charge.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk