Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Envoonmental health guidelines (was unpleasant surprise behind wallpaper)

Steve Walker wrote:
SNIP

I was very glad that the smoking ban came in. Although I have asthma
and sarcoidosis affecting my lungs, I've never had a problem in that
respect and was not overly concerned about the health effects of
passive smoking. I did however hate coming home with stinging eyes, a
sore throat and stinking clothes.

No smoking areas were of little help, as smoke does tend to drift
around and more of a problem is that many smokers can be very selfish
- if we went out as a group, even though only a small proportion
smoked, they would insist on us being in the smoking areas or they'd
sulk and ruin the evening.

I'm all for positive legislation defining smoking & non smoking areas
provided an element of choice is involved. Entirely possible to allow
smoking areas with extraction & filteration.

On your latter point, my youngest daughter (24) doesn't smoke tobacco, but
most of her friends do. When they go to the pub, most of her mates nip
outside for a fag leaving her sitting on her own. She now goes out with
them to share the social experience.

Positive legislation would work, punative legislation is simply spiteful.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk