Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default Drilling a long hole in timber

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
GMM wrote:
I need to send a (network, not power!) cable through a door frame.
The plan is to go through the plaster beside the frame (a couple of
inches before an adjoining door), at a bit of an angle to come out on
the edge of the architrave on the other side. The total depth of this
hole will be 200 - 250mm (well, 8 - 10 inches anyway) and most of it
will be through timber.
Soooooo....I was trying to find a drill long enough to get through
that lot. Plenty of masonry jobbies to be had, SDS or not, but
they're not very good on timber. The only things I can find are
extended flat bits (which might be tricky to get going at the angle I
need) and augur bits, which might be fine but really should be in a
brace and a) I haven't got one and b) I couldn't turn a brace in that
position.

Why doesn't anyone sell a standard HSS/spur/multipurpose bit this kind
of length? More importantly, what's the right way to do this?

You can certainly get 300mm long non HSS twist drills - I have a set
(5,8,10mm) bought off a market stall. I'd guess HSS might break too easily
at this sort of length.

To help prevent this happening, just pull the drill back out of the hole
to let the saw dust out. It is the saw dust that grips the twist drill
that lets the torque to go up to the twist drill's breaking point. Just
drill for a maximum of 2 inches at a time and then pull out.

Dave