Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default Valuation of a 'ransom strip'?

Lobster wrote:

Bit OT but I'm sure within this group's expertise...

My parents have recently been approached by their next-door neighbour
who wishes to buy a strip off the end of my parent's garden, presumably
with a view to gaining rear access to their property.

Or is it simply a case of my parents coming up with a figure they
could live with, and the neighbour liking it or lumping it?

£10,000 would be a starting point I think.(plus their costs).

I had similar 10 or so years ago, bloke at the back of me has no garden
to speak of, offered to buy some of my large garden, an approx 6m x 10m
pocket - this would more than double the size of his garden. I said
£3000 plus costs.
He laughed, and said the whole length, not just a corner - approx 35m x
10 m, for £1000 inc. costs.
I laughed back at him.

Last year he came round, offered again to buy the land, as he couldnt
sell his house as the garden was too small. I said £20,000 - the value
the extra land would add to his house value according to a Surveyor
friend.
He thought I was joking, and offered £3000 inc.costs.
I politely refused.
Alan.