Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default costco honda generator

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message
. ..

"Richard W." wrote in message
. ..

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message
. ..

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message

I know people have made adapters for generator heads so that they
can
be
used with a belt and pulley or direct coupled. I would like to try
running one with a 6 hp diesel engine. This may be a way to use
generators ends with the Tecumseh engines, since no one else make

an
engine with the proper taper to fit the gen heads. At least if
they
do
have never heard about it.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying but in order to use a generator
head
from a tapered shaft engine a LOT of machining would probably be
required.
And it sounds like you know how to do it. Are you thinking of

something
like a tapered shaft that bolts onto the rotor/field in much the same

way
as
it is normally done? Would this basically be about the same as using

the
crankshaft? Plus you would still need a way to mount the stator so

would
you be cutting away the engine case, or keep the engine more or less
in
tact
and just reworking the opposite, non PTO end? I don't recall ever
hearing
of anyone actually doing this so I'd like to hear more about it.
Plus,
if
you have any pictures...

I don't have any pictures, but someone else posted on the net how he
did
it. The female taper that goes onto the engine crankshaft is used with

home made shaft, that has the same taper as engine it mounts to. The
generator has a flange that bolts to the engine and if I remember

corectly
it has a place to install a bearing, but one isn't used when it's

directly
bolted to the engine. One would have to find the proper bearing and
make
the shaft diameter to fit with a shoulder for thrust load. Which would

be
a very light load. Also You would have to make some feet to bolt onto

the
unit to support the engine end of the gen head, since you're not
bolting
it to an engine. You don't use the engine at all, or any piece of the
engine. Which gets away from lubracation of crankshaft bearing.

It will take some thought, but if you know how to use a lathe? I'ts
not
really that hard to do. I will try to find the link that was posted to

one
that has already been done.

I found the link to one that someone else has done.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/...ight=generator

He doesn't go into the details, but he has some pictures.

Richard W.

Thanks for the pics. When you said "belt drive" my mind was filled with
all
kinds of complications and confusion. The direct drive I can actually
grasp. ;-)

I am sure you see that it can be done either way. I must say I prefer to use
a coupling whenever possible. No belts to break or adjust and no side load
on the engine crankshaft.

Richard W.