Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default car window seals

Doki wrote:
Dave wrote:
Cash wrote:
Dave wrote:
Does anyone know of a supplier of the rubber seals that car glass
fits into?
Dave

Dave,

Try the main dealer for the car that you have - they should be able
to supply them (probably cost an arm *and* a leg mind). Or try one
of the windscreen replacement companies near to you.

The car I am trying to repair is a Rover 25 and the window is the sun
roof :-((

Last sunroof seal I got was £27. But I suspect the glass ones are all
bonded together, so you want a complete roof.

The sun roof can be un-bolted from the mechanism. The glass has a metal
rim around it that is bonded / part of the glass. This bit is prone to
rusting. Then there is a rubber seal that wraps round and engages with
the metal part and this is all that forms the seal (I think).

But, as Dave P said, most leaks are down to blocked drain pipes. The
seals are never perfect. If you can't be doing with fixing that, I'd go
down the mastic / gaffa tape route. There's a cheap non-setting mastic
used for caravans called Carafax IDL 99 which would seal it up but not
preclude a proper repair at a later date.

Ideally, I would like to get the car to my house, as I have a Rover
trained man at hand. Even he can't find a suplier of the seal.

Thanks

Dave