Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default unpleasant surprise behind wallpaper

In article ,
Clint Sharp wrote:
On a wall? I doubt it. Woodwork, yes. Walls and ceilings used distemper.

Wouldn't want to put money on that, I'd definitely do a lead test before
sanding it down if it appears to be . Just because it *should* be
distemper and lead based pain *should* only be used on woodwork...

How many old houses have you worked on? Lead paint was *far* more
expensive than water based stuff and no one with any sense would use it on
an ordinary plastered wall. Only one you might find it on is direct to
brick.

I've seen painted plaster in houses around here (1930s era) that was
definitely not distemper. It's cheap insurance to find out before you
start sanding on unknowns.

My comment applies even more to houses of that era.

It makes sense to take precautions when sanding anything.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.