Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default costco honda generator

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message
. ..

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message

I know people have made adapters for generator heads so that they can

be
used with a belt and pulley or direct coupled. I would like to try
running one with a 6 hp diesel engine. This may be a way to use
generators ends with the Tecumseh engines, since no one else make an
engine with the proper taper to fit the gen heads. At least if they do

have never heard about it.

I'm not quite sure what you are saying but in order to use a generator
head
from a tapered shaft engine a LOT of machining would probably be required.
And it sounds like you know how to do it. Are you thinking of something
like a tapered shaft that bolts onto the rotor/field in much the same way
as
it is normally done? Would this basically be about the same as using the
crankshaft? Plus you would still need a way to mount the stator so would
you be cutting away the engine case, or keep the engine more or less in
tact
and just reworking the opposite, non PTO end? I don't recall ever hearing
of anyone actually doing this so I'd like to hear more about it. Plus, if
you have any pictures...

I don't have any pictures, but someone else posted on the net how he did it.
The female taper that goes onto the engine crankshaft is used with a home
made shaft, that has the same taper as engine it mounts to. The generator
has a flange that bolts to the engine and if I remember corectly it has a
place to install a bearing, but one isn't used when it's directly bolted to
the engine. One would have to find the proper bearing and make the shaft
diameter to fit with a shoulder for thrust load. Which would be a very light
load. Also You would have to make some feet to bolt onto the unit to support
the engine end of the gen head, since you're not bolting it to an engine.
You don't use the engine at all, or any piece of the engine. Which gets away
from lubracation of crankshaft bearing.

It will take some thought, but if you know how to use a lathe? I'ts not
really that hard to do. I will try to find the link that was posted to one
that has already been done.

I can't swear to this but I THINK the taper on my Honda GX270 is the same
as
the taper on my Tecumseh HM100, except the shaft is longer on the
Tecumseh.
When I replaced the gen head with a "generic" head on the Tecumseh I had
use a 1 1/2" spacer to accomodate the longer shaft. I'm pretty sure the
same head would bolt directly onto the GX270. OTOH I do recall attaching
the generic generator head to a 4 HP Honda engine, just to see how many
watts it would produce (I got about 2200) so maybe the taper is
smaller....

I know the Honda 5.5 fits right on same the 6 HP Tecumseh. I did it, but
the 5.5 Honda would run at the rated watts like the 6 HP Tecumseh. So one
would probably need a 7.5 HP Honda to do the same job, but I don't know if
they even make one that bolts right on.

Richard W.