Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark[_8_] Mark[_8_] is offline

Default Pop-up Sink Stopper Doesn't!

Did you try taking it completely apart and clean it all up? There can often
be enough hair and grime on the rod, popup and in the pipe itself to keep it
from moving freely and completely.

"red" wrote in message
The pop-up stopper in an American Standard bathroom sink won't pop up
far enough. The water will drain out eventually, but there's only
about 1/16" (maybe less?) between the o-ring and the mouth of the
tailpiece.

I've fiddled with the rods, etc under the sink, but that doesn't seem
to help. Even without the linkage, I can't move the pivot bar far
enough to lift the stopper clear. If I loosen the nut that holds the
ball and pivot bar to the tailpiece, I can just get the stopper high
enough to drain quickly.

Is there a secret adjustment I don't know about? Did I get a mixed
bag of parts from the plumber's spares box?

Thanks.