Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pop-up Sink Stopper Doesn't!

The pop-up stopper in an American Standard bathroom sink won't pop up
far enough. The water will drain out eventually, but there's only
about 1/16" (maybe less?) between the o-ring and the mouth of the
tailpiece.

I've fiddled with the rods, etc under the sink, but that doesn't seem
to help. Even without the linkage, I can't move the pivot bar far
enough to lift the stopper clear. If I loosen the nut that holds the
ball and pivot bar to the tailpiece, I can just get the stopper high
enough to drain quickly.

Is there a secret adjustment I don't know about? Did I get a mixed
bag of parts from the plumber's spares box?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Did you try taking it completely apart and clean it all up? There can often
be enough hair and grime on the rod, popup and in the pipe itself to keep it
from moving freely and completely.

"red" wrote in message
The pop-up stopper in an American Standard bathroom sink won't pop up
far enough. The water will drain out eventually, but there's only
about 1/16" (maybe less?) between the o-ring and the mouth of the
tailpiece.

I've fiddled with the rods, etc under the sink, but that doesn't seem
to help. Even without the linkage, I can't move the pivot bar far
enough to lift the stopper clear. If I loosen the nut that holds the
ball and pivot bar to the tailpiece, I can just get the stopper high
enough to drain quickly.

Is there a secret adjustment I don't know about? Did I get a mixed
bag of parts from the plumber's spares box?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
red wrote:

The pop-up stopper in an American Standard bathroom sink won't pop up
far enough. The water will drain out eventually, but there's only
about 1/16" (maybe less?) between the o-ring and the mouth of the
tailpiece.

I've fiddled with the rods, etc under the sink, but that doesn't seem
to help. Even without the linkage, I can't move the pivot bar far
enough to lift the stopper clear. If I loosen the nut that holds the
ball and pivot bar to the tailpiece, I can just get the stopper high
enough to drain quickly.

Is there a secret adjustment I don't know about? Did I get a mixed
bag of parts from the plumber's spares box?

Thanks.

I don't know the names of the parts, but it seems to me that your
problem is that the short horizontal rod that activates the long
vertical plunger rod, is sticking into the drainpipe too far. So it
can't clear the back side of the drainpipe as it pivots. Result is that
it's travel is reduced from, say 30 degrees of arc, to only 10 degrees.
Did that make any sense?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 10:46*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

snip
I don't know the names of the parts, but it seems to me that your
problem is that the short horizontal rod that activates the long
vertical plunger rod, is sticking into the drainpipe too far. So it
can't clear the back side of the drainpipe as it pivots. Result is that
it's travel is reduced from, say 30 degrees of arc, to only 10 degrees.
Did that make any sense?

Makes sense, but I have tried moving the ball fore and aft on the
pivot bar and it didn't seem to help, other than to jam it the way
you
describe.

Did you try taking it completely apart and clean it all up?

and a gooey, stick gross mess it was too. but that didn't help
either.

Drain works great without the popup mechanism. Maybe I can train the
family to use a rubber stopper on a chain?

Red

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
red wrote:

On Jul 13, 10:46*pm, Smitty Two wrote:

snip
I don't know the names of the parts, but it seems to me that your
problem is that the short horizontal rod that activates the long
vertical plunger rod, is sticking into the drainpipe too far. So it
can't clear the back side of the drainpipe as it pivots. Result is that
it's travel is reduced from, say 30 degrees of arc, to only 10 degrees.
Did that make any sense?

Makes sense, but I have tried moving the ball fore and aft on the
pivot bar and it didn't seem to help, other than to jam it the way
you
describe.

Somewhere in here is a geometry problem, having to do with the lengths
of the moving parts, the location of the fulcrum(s), etc. I put new
hardware in a sink recently and I recall I had to do some trial and
error tweaking of the various parts. I'm sure you'll get it if you just
apply some logic.

sink stopper Patty Home Repair 3 December 12th 06 12:36 AM
Sink Pop-up stopper stuck [email protected] Home Repair 6 May 23rd 06 09:14 PM
Leaky Sink Pop-up Stopper Adam Lane Home Repair 7 April 28th 06 08:59 PM
Removing a sink stopper to clean sink trap Brian O Home Repair 2 March 3rd 05 11:08 PM
Bath Tub stopper?? 99windstar Home Ownership 2 January 6th 05 10:23 PM