Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim[_20_] Tim[_20_] is offline

Default Sub panel to a sub panel

wrote in message
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:42:02 -0500, "Tim" wrote:

"stryped" wrote in message

-is there a reason to run the second sub from the main panel rather
-than the 1st sub panel?

Yes, you want your load to come through the 200 amp main breaker if you
have
a 200 amp meter can and service. Connecting up stream or bypassing the 200
amp main could allow you to overload the service.

Pardon? The first sub is protected by the main as well as the 100 amp
distribution breaker.
Connecting the second sub to that could not contribute to overloading
the service. However, it would be better to bypass that second panel
and put the outbuilding feed directly on the main breaker panel

I think you miss read me. The first sub is protected by a 100, I was say
don't bypass the 200 amp main in the main panel, or come off the meter can.
The service entrance is should only be wired for 200 amp, and feeding a 200
amp panel and a 100 panel off the meter could result in drawing 300 amps
through the service.