Old July 13th 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sub panel to a sub panel

I am building a detatched garage about 75 feet from my attached
garage. I have my main panel and a sub panel beside each other in my
attached garage. The sub panel only has my small upstairs heat pump/
air conditioner for a bonus room hooked to it as well as a 50 amp plug
for a small welder I almost never use. Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

If so, do I need another ground rod at the detached garage?

If it helps, I can remove the 50 amp welding plug because I only plan
to wel in the detached garage anyway.

I have 200 amp service in my main panel. I think the sub panel next to
it I bought was either a 50 or 100 amp panel but like I sais, the only
thing on it is the 1.5 ton heat pump. It is usually turned off as the
upstairs is a play room for the kids.

I added the sub panel because all of the breakers in my main pannel
were almost full.

Old July 13th 09, 01:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:
I am building a detatched garage about 75 feet from my attached
garage. I have my main panel and a sub panel beside each other in my
attached garage. The sub panel only has my small upstairs heat pump/
air conditioner for a bonus room hooked to it as well as a 50 amp plug
for a small welder I almost never use. Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

Maybe. What type of cable (size, material, and number of conductors) runs from
the main panel to the existing subpanel? What is the rating of the existing
subpanel? Is the subpanel connected to a breaker in the main panel, and if so,
what is the rating of that breaker?

If so, do I need another ground rod at the detached garage?

Yes.

If it helps, I can remove the 50 amp welding plug because I only plan
to wel in the detached garage anyway.

Do so.

I have 200 amp service in my main panel. I think the sub panel next to
it I bought was either a 50 or 100 amp panel

That makes a BIG difference.

but like I sais, the only
thing on it is the 1.5 ton heat pump. It is usually turned off as the
upstairs is a play room for the kids.

I added the sub panel because all of the breakers in my main pannel
were almost full.

IMO you're much better off hiring a licensed electrician. The questions you're
asking -- and the fact that you failed to gather such elementary but crucial
information such as the rating of the existing subpanel -- strongly suggest
that you do not possess the knowledge or the skills to do this safely on your
own.
Old July 13th 09, 02:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 8:30*am, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
stryped fired this volley in news:2a8c8464-ab25-
:

Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

Someone could. *We've watched your progress long enough to think
that's not safe (for your family -- think "kids playing upstairs") for
you to do.

If so, do I need another ground rod at the detached garage?

Two, eight feet apart in many jurisdictions.

I added the sub panel because all of the breakers in my main pannel
were almost full.

That scares me. *It sound like you have multiple circuits stuffed into
all the available connector space on every breaker.

An electrician might be your best friend, here.

I'm not banging on you, Stryped. *This just doesn't sound like the
right project for you to undertake.

LLoyd

The main pannel had two spots left. I added a 100 amp breaker in the
main panel to the 100 amp sub panel. the wiring between the two was
the correct size for 100 amps. (I checked when I did this several
years ago.)

Old July 13th 09, 03:29 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , stryped wrote:

The main pannel had two spots left. I added a 100 amp breaker in the
main panel to the 100 amp sub panel. the wiring between the two was
the correct size for 100 amps. (I checked when I did this several
years ago.)

Let's double-check, OK? Please answer all of these questions:

What type of wire?
What gauge?
How many conductors did you run to the subpanel?
What are they connected to?
Does the subpanel have separate busses for neutral and ground?
Are they connected to each other, or electrically separate?
How are the neutral and ground busses in the subpanel connected to the main
panel?

Old July 13th 09, 03:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

(Doug Miller) fired this volley in news:BxH6m.20458
:

What type of wire?
What gauge?

And how far, Doug.
(actual wire run, Stryped, not just the "walking distance".)
LLoyd
Old July 13th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 9:29*am, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article , stryped wrote:

The main pannel had two spots left. I added a 100 amp breaker in the
main panel to the 100 amp sub panel. the wiring between the two was
the correct size for 100 amps. (I checked when I did this several
years ago.)

Let's double-check, OK? Please answer all of these questions:

What type of wire?
What gauge?
How many conductors did you run to the subpanel?
What are they connected to?
Does the subpanel have separate busses for neutral and ground?
Are they connected to each other, or electrically separate?
How are the neutral and ground busses in the subpanel connected to the main
panel?

The sub panel is essentially a main type panel. I will have to look
again at the wire, but there is a 100 amp breaker form the main panel
feeding the sub pannel. The sub panel has a 100 amp main breaker also.

Everythign feeds to the main panel. (ground and everything.)

I will take some pictures tonight.
Old July 13th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

Make a hole in the main panel for another sub panel, just like you did
before. Move a couple of circuits to the other sub if necessary. Yes you
will need a main panel, ground rods and fused disconnect at the new shop.
I'd leave the welding plug for possible future use. It only matters if you
try to use it while heavily loaded on other circuits, but if everything is
fused/breakered correctly you should still be safe.

Old July 13th 09, 04:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote:
I am building a detatched garage about 75 feet from my attached
garage. I have my main panel and a sub panel beside each other in my
attached garage. The sub panel only has my small upstairs heat pump/
air conditioner for a bonus room hooked to it as well as a 50 amp plug
for a small welder I almost never use. Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

How did that truck engine overhaul
work out?
Old July 13th 09, 04:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 13, 10:08*am, Jim Stewart wrote:
stryped wrote:
I am building a detatched garage about 75 feet from my attached
garage. I have my main panel and a sub panel beside each other in my
attached garage. The sub panel only has my small upstairs heat pump/
air conditioner for a bonus room hooked to it as well as a 50 amp plug
for a small welder I almost never use. Can I run a sub panel in my new
detached garage/workshop from the sub panel in my current attached
garage?

How did that truck engine overhaul
work out?

Great. I am sellign it as we speak. It runs like a scalded dog. (it is
fairly fast). the only thing I have noticed is after sittign overnight
when starting it there is some lifter ticking that goes away after
about 5 seconds.

For what it is worth. I ask alot of questions here but all of my
projects (knock on wood) have turned out ok, (That is why I ask alot
of questions, to make sure everythign is right.).

The tiller is still runnign too by the way