Posted to alt.home.repair
mike mike is offline

Default Lubricate screw threads for long term protection agains sticking

On Jul 11, 6:31*pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

*The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

I hate to break it to you, but if those threads rust, the oxide takes
up more space over time as rust accumulates and creates a strong
interference fit of sorts. Lubrication won't really help other than
how much it stops corrosion.

You didn't say how much heat is involved, so there's no way to know if
any chemicals might drip out, burn off, oxidize, gum up, or make
things worse.

More information would help. Could something disposable by way of
wire cutters (for example) be used instead? .