Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Lubricate screw threads for long term protection agains sticking

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"blueman" wrote in message
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Anti-Seize, available at any good hardware or industrial supply store.
There are a few different varieties. You can also get it at
www.mcmaster.com

Most are good to 2000 degrees, but there is a high heat that can go to 2900
degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

On Jul 11, 8:31*pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

*The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Use antiseize from any NAPA or other auto parts store.

Joe
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:31:00 -0400, blueman wrote:

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Hugh? The whole idea to use a nut and bolt is to hold good and tight
with some adequate friction to produce a binding. A lubricant
doesn't make sense in this application. Depending on what you have,
sometimes a lock washer is a good idea.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Phisherman wrote:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:31:00 -0400, blueman wrote:

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Hugh? The whole idea to use a nut and bolt is to hold good and tight
with some adequate friction to produce a binding. A lubricant
doesn't make sense in this application. Depending on what you have,
sometimes a lock washer is a good idea.

Who's Hugh? Anti-seize compound, which others have suggested, is
definitely the way to go. It isn't a lubricant, it's um, anti-seize.
Correct hardware choice for the application may or may not include a
lockwasher, but that's a separate consideration.

Posted to alt.home.repair

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31�pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

�The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:31:00 -0400, blueman wrote:

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Hugh? The whole idea to use a nut and bolt is to hold good and tight
with some adequate friction to produce a binding. A lubricant
doesn't make sense in this application. Depending on what you have,
sometimes a lock washer is a good idea.

I don't know Hugh, but actually on the threads it does make some sense
to keep out moisture and minimize corrosion w/ time. The friction is on
the nut surface. I'd suggest actually the nonlocking high-temp Loctite
for the particular application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31?pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

?The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

nate

Stainless has a habit of gaulding and making it even worse than rust.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 7:25�pm, "Ralph Mowery" wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31?pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

?The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas..

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

nate

Stainless has a habit of gaulding and making it even worse than rust.- Hide quoted text -

i echo that espically if the stanless meets another non stainless
metals

Posted to alt.home.repair

Not much works in those conditions. Maybe something made for
furnaces and fireplace doors. I used to have some high temp
stuff from Kroil company.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"blueman" wrote in message
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it
from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a
decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it
is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets
some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in
Natural gas.

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

Stainless has a habit of gaulding and making it even worse than rust.

i echo that espically if the stanless meets another non stainless
metals

Hence, the recommendation for anti-seize .. .. NO SEIZE = NO GALLING =
easy to take apart. I worked in the food industry most of my life, and
EVERYTHING was stainless .. we went through NEVER-SEIZE like water. If
we tried to take something apart and it was galled up,, we'd look up the
previous work order and find out who last worked on that item .. .. they
were in for a serious prayer meeting. We even had a special
"food-grade" type that was ok for casual, direct contact with our product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Phisherman writes:

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:31:00 -0400, blueman wrote:

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Hugh? The whole idea to use a nut and bolt is to hold good and tight
with some adequate friction to produce a binding. A lubricant
doesn't make sense in this application. Depending on what you have,
sometimes a lock washer is a good idea.

Friction and tight is ok -- I just don't want it to be so *tight* that
it binds/rusts in place and becomes unremoveable. Also, since there is
no vibration or force on the nuts, I don't need it to be locked so
tight that the nut is near-impossible to remove.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nate Nagel writes:

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31�pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

�The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

Well it's not a regular nut/bolt - it's special hardware both pieces
are bronze also.
Posted to alt.home.repair
z z is offline

On Jul 12, 10:00*pm, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Not much works in those conditions. Maybe something made for
furnaces and fireplace doors. I used to have some high temp
stuff from Kroil company.

synthetic wheel bearing grease for cars, maybe?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 00:53:40 -0400, blueman wrote:

Nate Nagel writes:

bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31?pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

?The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

Well it's not a regular nut/bolt - it's special hardware both pieces
are bronze also.

The answer is TefGel. VERY expensive stuff, but it is exactly right
for this application, and a tiny bit goes a very long way. I use it
for things such as mounting stainless hardware with stainless screws
into aluminum spars on my boat, in a salt water environment.
Ordinarily, that would be a recipe for horrendous corrosion. TefGel
solves the issue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 11, 6:31*pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

*The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

I hate to break it to you, but if those threads rust, the oxide takes
up more space over time as rust accumulates and creates a strong
interference fit of sorts. Lubrication won't really help other than
how much it stops corrosion.

You didn't say how much heat is involved, so there's no way to know if
any chemicals might drip out, burn off, oxidize, gum up, or make
things worse.

More information would help. Could something disposable by way of
wire cutters (for example) be used instead? .
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 6:31 pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Automotive spark plug anti-seeze compound available at any auto parts store.
If it can stand up to the heat of a spark plug it ought to work in your
application.

Dan

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Smitty Two wrote:

Who's Hugh? Anti-seize compound, which others have suggested, is
definitely the way to go. It isn't a lubricant, it's um, anti-seize.

Correct hardware choice for the application may or may not include a
lockwasher, but that's a separate consideration.

Interesting; never thought
about it, thought they were ALWAYS good to use.

Perhaps you could give some of the pro-and-con situations?

THANKS!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
dpb wrote:

I don't know Hugh, but actually on the threads it does make some sense
to keep out moisture and minimize corrosion w/ time. The friction is on
the nut surface.

Hmmm. Interesting, never thought of it.

But presumably there's also a LOT of friction between the THREADS
and the grooves (what's the technical name for them?) -- not that
I know anything, but just from the feel of tightening a nut, that
that's what the tightening is doing, squeezing the threads (male, or
is my groove-vs-thread vocab totally wrong?) TIGHTLY TIGHTLY
**TIGHTLY** against the sides of the grooves (female?), SO tightly
as to result in LOTS of friction (ie, LOTS of force NEEDED to
OVERCOME that friction)?

Can someone restate this (if basically correct) more intelligently
and with the proper technical vocabulary?

THANKS!

David

I'd suggest actually the nonlocking high-temp Loctite
for the particular application.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31?pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

?The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper

I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

nate

Stainless has a habit of gaulding and making it even worse than rust.

Whatever "gaulding" is ... Interesting nontheless.

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31�pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

�The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

Before the following discussion on stainless-steel -- please, someone,
say a bit more about this periodic loosening and retightening,
pros and cons of it, what situations for doing and not doing it.

(To avoid (actually, evade) that discussion (stainless), suppose:

it's possible that you don't HAVE any of those, and/or they're
too EXPENSIVE to replace all the ones you already have with them.)

Thanks!

David

Posted to alt.home.repair

David Combs wrote:
In article ,
Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Nate Nagel" wrote in message
bob haller wrote:
On Jul 11, 9:31?pm, blueman wrote:
What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

?The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.
add routine maintence item, move nut loosen and tighten a little
yearly.......

although your range may fail from other problems before this nut
becomes a showstopper
I'd get stainless hardware, use anti-seize and not worry about it.

nate

Stainless has a habit of gaulding and making it even worse than rust.

Whatever "gaulding" is ... Interesting nontheless.

I'd guess it's some type of corrosion. Just the other day I had to pull
the cap off my well and the stainless bolts I put in the rusty
steel/cast lid didn't want to come out easy. I ended up taking the cap
in the garage and using oil and working them back and forth removed the
stainless bolts. I then used some lubriplate on them and replaced the cap.