Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default costco honda generator

"vaughn" wrote in message

"Richard W." wrote in message

I know people have made adapters for generator heads so that they can be
used with a belt and pulley or direct coupled. I would like to try
running one with a 6 hp diesel engine. This may be a way to use
generators ends with the Tecumseh engines, since no one else make an
engine with the proper taper to fit the gen heads. At least if they do I
have never heard about it.

Caution. Many portable generators (and some that are not-so-portable)
have only one bearing on the generator rotor. The other part of the rotor
is supported by the engine crankshaft. It would take a machine shop to
make an "adapter" to swap engines for most of those units.

Further; unless you engineered an adapter that incorporated a bearing,
belt driving one of those generators would be impossible.

Vaughn

That's exactly how they do it. The housing has no bearing on the engine end.
Yet some have a place for a bearing, only the shaft is made wrong. I have a
lathe and mill and once I figured out what was needed to do the job. It
might take less than a day depending on what had to be done.

Richard W.