Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Sub panel to a sub panel

In article , Leon Fisk wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 12:37:15 -0700 (PDT), stryped
wrote:

On Jul 13, 2:22*pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article

, stryped
wrote:

What do you mean if I installed it the same as the main panel it is
wrong?

Code requires the ground and neutral bus bars to be bonded together in the
main panel, and requires them to be electrically *isolated* in subpanels.

To be honest I cant rememebr I will have to look if they are isolated
in the sub panel. How is the connection between the two "isolated"?

It has been a long time...

Used to be a screw with a paper tag attached to it by the
ground and neutral connections. Tag said to install screw to
bond ground to neutral or similar words. Leave said screw
out if you don't want the two bonded (shrug).

I've seen some panels -- granted, not recently -- that shipped with the
bonding screw already installed, with instructions to take it out if the panel
would be used as a subpanel.

And the absence of a bonding screw does *not* mean that the two bars are
isolated. There might be a bonding *jumper* instead: in a main panel, Code
permits bonding the neutral bar to the box directly, or to the ground bar.