Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller Doug Miller is offline

Default Sub panel to a sub panel

In article , stryped wrote:
On Jul 13, 2:22=A0pm, (Doug Miller) wrote:
In article .=

com, stryped wrote:

What do you mean if I installed it the same as the main panel it is
wrong?

Code requires the ground and neutral bus bars to be bonded together in the
main panel, and requires them to be electrically *isolated* in subpanels.

To be honest I cant rememebr I will have to look if they are isolated
in the sub panel. How is the connection between the two "isolated"?

"Isolated" means not connected electrically. One of the busses will be bolted
or screwed directly to the box -- that's the ground bar. The other one will be
mounted to the box with plastic insulators -- that's the neutral bar.

In a main panel, the two bars MUST be electrically connected to each other,
either by means of a jumper wire or bar connecting them, or by means of a
screw driven through the neutral bar and into the box, to provide
metal-to-metal contact.

In a subpanel, the two bars MUST NOT be electrically connected.

Thus, if you installed the subpanel "the same as the main panel" then you
installed it incorrectly -- and dangerously.