Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling a long hole in timber

Cash wrote:
For the Medway Handy Man!!

Owain wrote:
On 13 July, 22:57, "The Medway Handyman"
Things have moved on. Nobody uses a brace & bit anymore.

Oh yes they *DO* . They come in very handy when there is no power on
site and the batteries have run down on the portable drill - or even
when you have to drill a 75mm hole in a piece of wood.

Don't make me laugh you idiot. You can buy spare batteries for cordless
drills - if you have half a brain. I can just see the chippies on site "oh
my one & only battery has died, where did I put the brace & bit"?

The last one I saw was on the Antiques Roadshow.

Now please don't tell me that this cannot be done by hand - because
it can with an expansion wood bit.

If you can do it by hand then it can be done with a decent cordless.
Faster, with less effort.

You must like making work for yourself, grinding down 40 year old auger
shafts when you can buy hexagon shafts anywhere, using a brace & bit because
you don't have the sense to buy an extra battery.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk