Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Drilling a long hole in timber

Cash explained :
GMM wrote:
I need to send a (network, not power!) cable through a door frame.
The plan is to go through the plaster beside the frame (a couple of
inches before an adjoining door), at a bit of an angle to come out on
the edge of the architrave on the other side. The total depth of this
hole will be 200 - 250mm (well, 8 - 10 inches anyway) and most of it
will be through timber.
Soooooo....I was trying to find a drill long enough to get through
that lot. Plenty of masonry jobbies to be had, SDS or not, but
they're not very good on timber. The only things I can find are
extended flat bits (which might be tricky to get going at the angle I
need) and augur bits, which might be fine but really should be in a
brace and a) I haven't got one and b) I couldn't turn a brace in that
position.

Why doesn't anyone sell a standard HSS/spur/multipurpose bit this kind
of length? More importantly, what's the right way to do this?

Cheers

GMM,

You can get 'long series' suitable twist drills from reputable tool suppliers
long enough to do what you want, or you could just grind the thread off the
auger bit and stick it in an electric drill [1] keeping a fairly heavy
pressure on it as you drill the hole. (A bit brutish, but this trick has
often got me out of a bit of bother, and I now keep a few of the common sizes
(that have been adapted that way) in the toolbox).

[1] Just make sure that you get one without the tapered square on the end
- or if that is not possible, just cut the taper off.

Cash

Not actually tried it, but could an ordinary blunt ended SDS masonry be
used, but with the blunt spear end ground so it would cut into wood?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)