Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default Hardwired smoke detectors wiring

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I think I know the answers to this, but I am not sure.

I have a building that already has 3 interconnected 120-volt smoke
detectors. I want to add two more to the system. I want them to all be
interconnected so that if one goes off, they all go off. This is just a
120 VAC interconnected system with no battery backup.

To install one of the new detectors, I am planning on opening up the
junction box for nearby existing detector, and from there run 14/3 wire to
the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new detector comes
into the existing detector junction box, I would just connect red to red,
white to white, and black to black.

To install the second new detector, I am planning on opening up the
junction box for a different nearby existing detector, and from there run
14/3 wire to the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new
detector comes into that existing detector junction box, I would just
connect red to red, white to white, and black to black.

Is that correct in terms of the wiring?

Also, if I cannot find two new detectors that are the same model or
compatible with the 3 existing detectors, I will just buy 5 new detectors
and use them.

On a smoke circuit it is normal for the red wire to be used for the
inter-connect but make absolutely sure that is how yours are wired. The
pigtail wires with the smoke connection plug are usually black white and
yellow.

Many models are compatible so you may not need to buy all new but if they
are more than 5 years old I would buy all new with battery back-up.