Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hardwired smoke detectors wiring

I think I know the answers to this, but I am not sure.

I have a building that already has 3 interconnected 120-volt smoke
detectors. I want to add two more to the system. I want them to all be
interconnected so that if one goes off, they all go off. This is just a 120
VAC interconnected system with no battery backup.

To install one of the new detectors, I am planning on opening up the
junction box for nearby existing detector, and from there run 14/3 wire to
the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new detector comes into
the existing detector junction box, I would just connect red to red, white
to white, and black to black.

To install the second new detector, I am planning on opening up the junction
box for a different nearby existing detector, and from there run 14/3 wire
to the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new detector comes
into that existing detector junction box, I would just connect red to red,
white to white, and black to black.

Is that correct in terms of the wiring?

Also, if I cannot find two new detectors that are the same model or
compatible with the 3 existing detectors, I will just buy 5 new detectors
and use them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"BetaB4" wrote in message
I think I know the answers to this, but I am not sure.

I have a building that already has 3 interconnected 120-volt smoke
detectors. I want to add two more to the system. I want them to all be
interconnected so that if one goes off, they all go off. This is just a
120 VAC interconnected system with no battery backup.

To install one of the new detectors, I am planning on opening up the
junction box for nearby existing detector, and from there run 14/3 wire to
the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new detector comes
into the existing detector junction box, I would just connect red to red,
white to white, and black to black.

To install the second new detector, I am planning on opening up the
junction box for a different nearby existing detector, and from there run
14/3 wire to the new detector. And, where the 14/3 wire from the new
detector comes into that existing detector junction box, I would just
connect red to red, white to white, and black to black.

Is that correct in terms of the wiring?

Also, if I cannot find two new detectors that are the same model or
compatible with the 3 existing detectors, I will just buy 5 new detectors
and use them.

On a smoke circuit it is normal for the red wire to be used for the
inter-connect but make absolutely sure that is how yours are wired. The
pigtail wires with the smoke connection plug are usually black white and
yellow.

Many models are compatible so you may not need to buy all new but if they
are more than 5 years old I would buy all new with battery back-up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Colbyt wrote:
Many models are compatible so you may not need to buy all new but if
they are more than 5 years old I would buy all new with battery
back-up.

Thanks. Do 120-volt smoke detectors with battery backup just have a a
battery in each one? If so, and the power goes off, does that just change
all of the smoke detectors to individual detectors with no interconnectivity
feature?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 13, 3:11*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:
Colbyt wrote:
Do 120-volt smoke detectors with battery backup just have a a
battery in each one?

Mine use a common motorcycle-type battery- Yuasa NP7-12.
-----

- gpsman
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BetaB4" wrote in message
Colbyt wrote:
Many models are compatible so you may not need to buy all new but if
they are more than 5 years old I would buy all new with battery
back-up.

Thanks. Do 120-volt smoke detectors with battery backup just have a a
battery in each one? If so, and the power goes off, does that just change
all of the smoke detectors to individual detectors with no
interconnectivity feature?

One 9 volt battery per unit. Last 2 years with no power off. Recommended
change is yearly for the batteries.

I think and I want to stress the word think, that it still sounds off all
the ones with a good battery. The voltage for the inter-connect is very low.

Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

On Jul 13, 3:24*pm, gpsman wrote:
On Jul 13, 3:11*pm, "BetaB4" wrote:

Colbyt wrote:
Do 120-volt smoke detectors with battery backup just have a a
battery in each one?

Mine use a common motorcycle-type battery- Yuasa NP7-12.

you have an actual fire alarm panel in your house?

nate