Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Glue for wooden garden/deck chair?

JIMMIE wrote:
As far as glueing up furniture I like Titebond but have recently tried
Gorrila glue and I think I like it a little more for doing repairs
where the pieces may not fit so well.

Resorcinol glues (Gorilla is just one brand) don't fill voids any better
or even as well as they foam rather than expand in a solid glue line.
Testing shows the bonds are mechanically weaker than either white or
yellow glues. They are fully waterproof but for anything not exposed
continuously the Type III PVA glues are adequate water resistance.

Whatever glue try to use, will have to clean the edges well and fit them
for it to have any lasting benefit.

However, probably just as well to forget the glue and use good
outdoor-rated fasteners; the cross joints and the end grain mentioned
specifically won't hold long anyway...

FWW (www.taunton.com/finewoodworking iirc) published winners of a
competition for Adirondack design (I think from the North Boston School)
a while back and there was a cover article on building a specific design
even more recently...