Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Connecting DVD Player

On Sun, 12 Jul 2009 23:32:01 +0100 someone who may be "Dave Plowman
(News)" wrote this:-

YUV is known as components. I dunno why it appeared on domestic equipment
as it was originally a way of recording high quality pictures to
professional videotape. And really offers no advantage in theory over RGB
via a SCART.

Partly globalisation. SCART isn't seen much outside Europe. If
making a box for worldwide use it makes sense to have as many
connectors as possible, otherwise it will not sell in some markets.

It is also a recognised method of transmitting High Definition
video, the first method ISTR. Then the big companies stepped in and
wanted DRM crap put on equipment which helped the development of
other connectors. As a result of this crap Freesat boxes with
component outputs suppress these when a HD programme is transmitted,
the BBC gave in to the demands of big business and ignored their
funders (the public). Not fun for early adopters of High Definition
television with sets.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh