Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default New idea for work bench?

On Jul 12, 12:45*pm, "Buerste" wrote:
I took two old vanities that I replaced in the bathrooms and screwed them
together end to end to make the carcass of a new garage workbench. *They get
raised 12" and I made a top from 2 x 4s glued-up face to face. *I had to
make the top in 2 pieces so they would fit through the 20" planer at work
then glued the two together. *I filled any imperfections with wood putty. *I
don't care what it looks like, I just want a good, solid surface. *The bench
is lagged to the wall. *I also bored two lines of 3/4" holes front to back,
two feet apart. *The bench should be very functional for a lot of things but
mostly it'll be my reloading station. *And, I mounted a bunch of the old
kitchen cabinets above it on the wall. *I have five 8', 2-tube fixtures to
go up on the ceiling and walls.

That's when I had a GREAT idea! *I routed a half-round groove 3/4" wide x
3/8" deep, all the way around the top, 3/4" in from the edge. *Then I
polyurethaned the **** out of the whole top. *I'll bet that saves me from
some of the trying to find parts that would otherwise roll off. *Is this an
original idea? *Also I'll *put some indoor/outdoor carpet on 1/3 of the
bench.

You may want to run a couple of pieces of threaded rod through the
glued-up top, though it's probably better to do this before the glue
dries.

Sounds like a very nice pseudo butcher block.