Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Lubricate screw threads for long term protection agains sticking

Phisherman wrote:
On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:31:00 -0400, blueman wrote:

What (if any) lubricant can I use on a screw/nut to keep it from
binding over time? I may not need to loosen the nut for a decade or
more.

The nut is part of the burner assembly on our range so it is
exposed to some heat (but not direct flame). It also gets some
moisture exposure due to the inherent moisture content in Natural gas.

Hugh? The whole idea to use a nut and bolt is to hold good and tight
with some adequate friction to produce a binding. A lubricant
doesn't make sense in this application. Depending on what you have,
sometimes a lock washer is a good idea.

I don't know Hugh, but actually on the threads it does make some sense
to keep out moisture and minimize corrosion w/ time. The friction is on
the nut surface. I'd suggest actually the nonlocking high-temp Loctite
for the particular application.