Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default Any major hurdles installing 30-yr. shingles?

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jon" wrote in message
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed
to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do the labor
myself but only have experience with the standard flat three tab 20 yr.
style.

You don't have to do it as often. They get nailed the same way. Follow
the instructions on the package.

The instructions on the bundles of shingles I've seen say to use the
"stair-step" method by their illustrations and instructions on the package
holding the bundles. Yet, everyday almost, I see "professional" roofers
going straight up to the ridge in a squared fashion, then bridging sideways
after they reach the ridge. Is there any shingle life deteriment or
potential leakage in application of shingles by these roofers vs. the
instructions provided by the manufacturer application method?