Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Default Any major hurdles installing 30-yr. shingles?

"Jon" wrote in message
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed
to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do the labor
myself but only have experience with the standard flat three tab 20 yr.
style.

You don't have to do it as often. They get nailed the same way. Follow the
instructions on the package.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
...Follow the instructions on the package.

Dam! Now _THERE'S_ a novel thought...

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Jon wrote in news:4a59fe33$0$23768$bbae4d71
@news.suddenlink.net:

What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as
opposed to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do
the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat three
tab 20 yr. style.

Are these 30yr 3 tabbed or architectural? The latter are heavier but you
don't have to worry about the tabs in non-field areas.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"Jon" wrote in message
...differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed
to 20-yr ones? ...

You don't have to do it as often.

Nah, ya' still replace on the hailstorm's schedule...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message

--

True here. I just replaced mine after the worst hailstorm I've ever seen.
Then we had another hailstorm (fortunately not as bad) right after the bad

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"Jon" wrote in message
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed
to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do the labor
myself but only have experience with the standard flat three tab 20 yr.
style.

You don't have to do it as often. They get nailed the same way. Follow
the instructions on the package.

The instructions on the bundles of shingles I've seen say to use the
"stair-step" method by their illustrations and instructions on the package
holding the bundles. Yet, everyday almost, I see "professional" roofers
going straight up to the ridge in a squared fashion, then bridging sideways
after they reach the ridge. Is there any shingle life deteriment or
potential leakage in application of shingles by these roofers vs. the
instructions provided by the manufacturer application method?

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Jul 12, 11:16*am, Jon wrote:
* What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as
opposed to 20-yr ones? *I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do
the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat three
tab * 20 yr. style.

Architectural shingles will withstand hail storms much better (up to a
certain point) because they are thicker and cushion the impact.

KC
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Jul 12, 4:59�pm, KC wrote:
On Jul 12, 11:16�am, Jon wrote:

� What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as
opposed to 20-yr ones? �I would like to replace mine with 30-yr.. and do
the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat three
tab � 20 yr. style.

Architectural shingles will withstand hail storms much better (up to a
certain point) because they are thicker and cushion the impact.

KC

with a 30 year roof might as well install the rubber self sealing
membrame too.

whats it called ?
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

Use full head good quality nails....some use stainless......
Use 30 # felt.........
The steeper the pitch the closer the stagger....and likewise the lower the
pitch, the less the stagger....
Some people use Ice and Water paper.....a nice addition.....
Sharp blades necessary for cutting......
I use 30 year comps for the ridge.....3 tab....they seal better.
jloomis
"Jon" wrote in message
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as opposed
to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and do the labor
myself but only have experience with the standard flat three tab 20 yr.
style.

Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

on 7/12/2009 12:16 PM (ET) Jon wrote the following:
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as
opposed to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and
do the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat
three tab 20 yr. style.

They're heavier carrying up the ladder.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair

On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 09:20:16 -0400, willshak
wrote:

on 7/12/2009 12:16 PM (ET) Jon wrote the following:
What are the major differences in installing 30-yr. shingles as
opposed to 20-yr ones? I would like to replace mine with 30-yr. and
do the labor myself but only have experience with the standard flat
three tab 20 yr. style.

They're heavier carrying up the ladder.

That's what my assistant is for. He's paid not to complain! bg