Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default unpleasant surprise behind wallpaper

Stephen wrote:
Hello,

I have just removed the wallpaper ready to redecorate. It looks as
though at some point in the past (1) the plaster was painted. At a
later point, (2) the paint must have been papered over. Then this
paper was (3) removed and took half of the paint off with it. It seems
whoever lived here at the time then (4) emulsioned over the wall and
(5) papered on top. I have just removed this paper.

I am concerned that the jagged patches of paint from (2) and (3) will
show through my new paper. I think the new paper is much thinner that
what I have taken off and I know from using it in other parts of the
house, it is not very tolerant of anything left on the wall behind it.

I'm thinking that lining the wall with lining paper might be the
easiest way forward. What do you think? Is there another way to remove
the paint (2) under the paint (4)?

Heavy duty lining paper, no question.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman