Posted to uk.d-i-y
GMM GMM is offline

Default Drilling a long hole in timber

I need to send a (network, not power!) cable through a door frame.
The plan is to go through the plaster beside the frame (a couple of
inches before an adjoining door), at a bit of an angle to come out on
the edge of the architrave on the other side. The total depth of this
hole will be 200 - 250mm (well, 8 - 10 inches anyway) and most of it
will be through timber.
Soooooo....I was trying to find a drill long enough to get through
that lot. Plenty of masonry jobbies to be had, SDS or not, but
they're not very good on timber. The only things I can find are
extended flat bits (which might be tricky to get going at the angle I
need) and augur bits, which might be fine but really should be in a
brace and a) I haven't got one and b) I couldn't turn a brace in that
position.

Why doesn't anyone sell a standard HSS/spur/multipurpose bit this kind
of length? More importantly, what's the right way to do this?

Cheers