Posted to alt.energy.homepower,alt.home.repair
Richard W. Richard W. is offline

Default costco honda generator

"Ulysses" wrote in message

"ransley" wrote in message
On Jul 11, 7:29 am, "jethro" wrote:
costco is selling this weekend a honda gx390 13hp powered briggs&stratton

rig for
under 1k

the unit is listed as 7000 watts running power with surge power at 12000

watts

is there something in the powerhead design that allows such a wide margin

that could
potentially shorten the life of the unit since normally commercial units

are
6000/8000w or 6500w/8000w but this one a whopping 7000/12000w ?

the costco unit is equipped also with electric start, battery and runtime

meter

Why would B&S a motor manufacturer use a honda motor, I dont think
they would. The honda motor is good, but the 12000 rating is
misleading and only a second or 2 surge rating.

I guess they found out many people won't buy an engine that says B&S on it
and have to use Hondas ;-)

I have the understanding that Generac was bought out by Briggs. When I
looked for a manual for my Generac 10 hp Tecumseh, they showed the same
generator stock number with a Briggs engine. I guess that for a while they
used up existing stock. Yet the Generac's like mine are all over.
I got a 3200 watt 4,000 peak Porter Cable generator that had a 6 HP
Tecumseh engine and I replaced it with a Honda 5.5 hp. The Honda wouldn't
pull the load and ran at only about 1/2 the wattage load. I later found out
that Honda engines are over rated on their HP. At work they use the 18 HP
Briggs and as an option they offer a 20 HP Honda. The 18 HP Honda would pull
the same load as the 18 HP Briggs, so the had to use the 20 HP Honda. Both
engines are the V2 design. This is on the Stanley Hydraulic Power units.

http://stanleyhydraulic.com/Products...2/Default.aspx

Richard W.