Posted to rec.woodworking
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe is offline

Default Kilz Latex Primer - Holdout On Tannin And Knots

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I'm getting ready to make some pilasters for the fence. Going to use
cedar S1S2E and the grade includes some knots. Acrylic paint finish.

I've done similar things in the past and used solvent based Kilz to
hold back the tannin bleed and keep the knots from weeping.

Thing is, I'd like to spray this coating and do not want to run a
solvent based finish through my airless sprayer.

Would like to know if anyone has experience using the water based Kilz
product on cedar and knots, and what the results were.

Dunno how well it works on knots, but it sucks as far as the airless
sprayer is concerned (at least my Wagner) - the piston would jam up after
only a few seconds of operation (I assume from the silica in the paint) - I
switched to a different primer and the job went just fine.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com