Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Connecting DVD Player

The Medway Handyman wrote:

We have a 5 year old Bush telly with a built in DVD player - which
don't not work.

SWMBO has therefore purchased a cheap DVD player and my mission is to
connect up the beast. Alas I am a complete numpty when it comes to
this sort of thing - and there is no teenager available to help.

The player came with a lead, exhibit A
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...y/click004.jpg

The telly is connected to a Telewest box, back of telly here
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...y/click001.jpg

and back of Telewest box here
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...y/click002.jpg

and finally back of DVD player
http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...y/click003.jpg

The red/yellow/white lead does nothing. I think I need a scart lead
to connect the Telewest box to the DVD.

Is that it? Or is it even more horribly complex than I imagined?

SWMBO of course wanted to watch a DVD tonight and everything is my
fault. It has to be working tomorrow!

Help!

The DVD player appears to have several different output options:
* composite video + stereo sound (as per the supplied lead)
* component video
* S-Video, and
* Scart

In an ideal world, the TV would have a number of input options, and you'd
connect the DVD player direct to the TV using one of them, and then select
the appropiate input from the TV's menu.

However, your TV appears only to have one input - a Scart - and that's
already being used by the Telewest box.

However, the Telewest box has a second Scart connector. There's a fighting
chance that you can connect the DVD player to that - with a Scart cable -
and tell the Telewest box to use its external Scart input, and transmit the
signal to the TV. The TV itself would have to be set up in the same way as
when it's normally receiving a signal from the Telewest box.

If that doesn't work, you can get multi-Scart adapters (one plug and two or
more sockets - e.g. http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43158). If
you plug that into the tele, you can then plug two or more Scart-based
devices (in your case, the Telewest box and the DVD player) into its
sockets, and select which one you want to use - usually with a manual
switch - although I believe some are auto-sensing, using some magic which I
don't understand!.
--
Cheers,
Roger