Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] tnom@mucks.net is offline

Default NiCd vs. NiMh

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 14:09:20 -0400, E Z Peaces

How did you get a plain dumb charger to cut back that far?
It's called electrical theory. Even the dumbest of dumb chargers have
to abide by it.
The dumbest of dumb chargers use rectified sine waves. Without a
voltage regulator, the state of charge will have little effect on current.

Really? The state of charge has a direct effect on the output of the
charger. Just what world do you live in?

You're talking about capacitors. If you charged a capacitor with a
regulated 1.4V, the current would taper toward nothing at 1.4. With an
unregulated charger, current would taper toward nothing at about 2V.

Chemical batteries are different. Voltage-regulated chargers have been
used for lead-acid batteries but never worked for nickel batteries.
Terminal voltage on NiMH drops when it's fully charged, which means a
voltage-regulated or unregulated charger would speed up.

I can't believe how ignorant one can be. Regulated or not, battery
or not, when for example a source puts out one volt and a load holds
a 1 volt charge just what kind of current will flow from a 1000 amp
source?

Are you saying that I was lying about the 340 micro amp trickle
charge?