Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

Let the Record show that "DoN. Nichols" on or
about 11 Jul 2009 00:25:47 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Anyway -- they were pure (soft) lead.

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

The question comes to mind - if I put a lead alloy in sea water,
and it is "differentially etched", which is differentially etched away
- the lead or the alloying material? Can I take this mess and refine
it to recover the pure lead?
Is it possible to "unalloy" an alloy at "home" (for whatever
definition of "home". Some people are barely able to hang a picture
without a trip to the store, others could probably build a working
rocket ship with just the tools in the basement and the stuff in the
garage.)?
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!