Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Perhaps you could just add another 4 or so house batteries on the
starboard side and get dual functionality?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote:

cavelamb wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Perhaps you could just add another 4 or so house batteries on the
starboard side and get dual functionality?

Or, along the same lines, get your hands on a dead electric forklift
battery and a bunch of baking soda and do some recycling?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Alloy really doesn't matter. bullet lead works great, as do wheel
weights. Find an indoor shooting range, take 4 or 5 5 gallon buckets,
fill them about 40% full, Pay scrap lead price. Make a small ingot mold
of steel angle or c-channel, melt and pour.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Boat builders out here get ingots from somewhere. I have a couple of
50-pounders from my uncle's boat. I use them for gluing weights. He had 650
pounds of lead ballast to compensate for the lighter weight of the
Caterpillar V8 diesel he had installed in his 41-footer (it was designed for
a GM 6-71), but it included some that was designed-in to adjust for actual
weight versus designed weight. Most of them were 100 pounds each.

Anyway, the alloy won't matter. Whatever is cheapest. You might check the
boatyards or builders of commercial fishing boats in your area to see where
they get it.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Well ... there used to be plumber's lead for melting in a pot
heated by a blowtorch, and used to fill joints in cast iron sewer pipe.

I don't know whether that is still made, but there still should
be someone who knows about it at least. IIRC, the ingots were about
twenty pounds each. I know that as a kid (late 1940s or early 1950s), I
was unable to lift one. They may have been as much as fifty pounds
each, but I don't think so.

Anyway -- they were pure (soft) lead.

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

I'm not there -- and I don't have the scraps anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

There ain't no cheapest, Ed.
Best price I've seen on the web so far is almost $2 a pound.

And bricks? Man, we are in the wrong business what ever it is.

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Twenty pound ingots would be perfect.
Ten or 12 of those and I'm dead level.

They will go inside, DoN.
Packed in corners here and there in the starboard bilges.
It is a fiberglass hull.
Nothing to worry about but the dreaded polyestermites!

Richard
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 17:36:38 -0500, cavelamb wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my installed
heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without inducing a
serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Not enough room for rocks?

I kinda like the suggestion of more batteries.

--
http://www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Keep it as centered as you can, not out in the bilges. You want the lowest
polar moment of inertia you can get. It's usually stacked on either side of
the keel.

It is a fiberglass hull.
Nothing to worry about but the dreaded polyestermites!

If you don't have framing or floors, you'll need them. You don't want the
lead bearing directly on the inner skin of the hull.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Many years ago, I brought home a bucket full of lead bullet remnants,
from a gun range. The price then was next to nothing, actually $3. I
would suggest to call local gun ranges and tell them that you are
looking for lead. You would need to smelt it, of course, and dispose
of coppery stuff in a safe and legal way. (I just had to say it!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
[...]

If you've read the old boatbuilding books, you know that making your own
ingots is not a big deal. Start walking down the shoulders of highways and
collect wheel weights. You ought to have enough if you walk, oh, maybe 5,000
miles. g I bicycled thousands of miles when I was a teenager and I always
had my eyes glued to the shoulder, looking for wheel weights. I probably had
30 or 40 pounds of them at one time.

Seriously, I probably have as much lead as you need, and little use for it.
I have at least 200 pounds; the two 50 lb. bricks and the rest in the form
of big banks sinkers for fishing. How much is eight coffee cans full? g

However, the transportation cost is probably more than the cost of the lead.
You need a local source. Have you checked the scrap dealers?

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, Ed Huntress wrote:
Seriously, I probably have as much lead as you need, and little use for it.
I have at least 200 pounds; the two 50 lb. bricks and the rest in the form
of big banks sinkers for fishing. How much is eight coffee cans full? g

It should cost approximately $29.55 to ship 200 lbs of lead anywhere
in the US. Do it in USPS flat rate boxes. Let their jaws drop.

Seriously, I would probably use about 5 boxes instead of 3, but USPS
FRE is the way to go. Up to 70 lbs per box.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, Ed Huntress wrote:
Seriously, I probably have as much lead as you need, and little use for
it.
I have at least 200 pounds; the two 50 lb. bricks and the rest in the
form
of big banks sinkers for fishing. How much is eight coffee cans full? g

It should cost approximately $29.55 to ship 200 lbs of lead anywhere
in the US. Do it in USPS flat rate boxes. Let their jaws drop.

Cripes. I can't run that fast anymore. g

Seriously, I would probably use about 5 boxes instead of 3, but USPS
FRE is the way to go. Up to 70 lbs per box.

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)
Richard can find lead where he lives, and if he finds someone with a wrecked
sailboat or something, he probably can get it a lot cheaper than the
commercial rate.

My Cape Dory Typhoon had 450 lb. of lead in the keel. There must be some old
sailboats around where he is.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.

[ ... ]

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

[ ... ]

They will go inside, DoN.
Packed in corners here and there in the starboard bilges.

Well ... In my father's Wianno Sr. (25' centerboard with a
partial keel and gaff rigged) the bilge was typically wet. It *was* a
wooden boat, after all, and the wet state helped keep the wood properly
swollen for good seals between boards. And it was full of lead bricks,
probably on the order of 30-50 pounds each (I never actually lifted one
-- it was typically too slimy to get a good grip on it. :-)

So -- I tend to think of all bilges as wet. :-)

It is a fiberglass hull.
Nothing to worry about but the dreaded polyestermites!

Great!

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Check with your local forklift repair shop. They often use lead ingots
as ballast and have them around after scrapping out a lift.
Also check Craigs list for your locality. Thats where I found a shop
that was cleaning out their back room for new equipment. About a buck a
pound.

Good luck

Jim Vrzal
Holiday, Fl.

cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Agreed.
that's why I was asking about the Dallas metroplex area.

Those old sailboats are very attached to their keels. VBG

The only one laying around fro free pillage is a Catalina 25.
It has a cast iron keel.
No help there...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Actuall, Ed, it's to correct a list to port because all the heavy stuff is
installed on the port side.

INCLUDING another 10 gallon fresh waster tank that I'd like to be able to use.

I've got a layout worked out for it.
Just need some mass quanities...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-07-11, cavelamb wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
[...]

I am blessed with dry bilges.
It picks up some water in the rain.
I had maybe a 1/2 cup after the last big rain storm.

She's a good dry boat - until the waves get up over 4 feet!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mawdeeb wrote:
Check with your local forklift repair shop. They often use lead ingots
as ballast and have them around after scrapping out a lift.
Also check Craigs list for your locality. Thats where I found a shop
that was cleaning out their back room for new equipment. About a buck a
pound.

Good luck

Jim Vrzal
Holiday, Fl.

Now there is a suggestion. Thanks.
Will search them out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

A vertical cincinatti manual mill has a lead counterweight inside the
machine.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" writes:

However, the transportation cost is probably more than the cost of the lead.
You need a local source. Have you checked the scrap dealers?

Hmmmm

https://www.prioritymail.com/about_priority_mail.asp?id=17097589&ssno=27843
--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a friend who is selling a lot of lead ingots - we have been shipping
them in flat rate boxes (60 pounds in a box) - linotype alloy and monotype
seems to be the most desired (apparently used to make bullets), but he has a
lot of 25 pound ingots. If you find my email from my web page
(wbnoble.com), I'll pass on his phone number and you can see what
arrangements you can make - so far, we've been getting between $1.25 and
$1.50 per pound depending on the alloy

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
DoN. Nichols wrote:
On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
[...]

Ah, yeah. I missed that in your earlier message. That's a limitation, all
right.

Still, keep it out of the ends. It's always best to keep the weight as
centered as you can. I never much liked sailing in big centerboarders
because they roll in a trough, with the weight too high and off-center.

I've got a layout worked out for it.
Just need some mass quanities...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bill Noble wrote:
I have a friend who is selling a lot of lead ingots - we have been shipping
them in flat rate boxes (60 pounds in a box) - linotype alloy and monotype
seems to be the most desired (apparently used to make bullets), but he has a
lot of 25 pound ingots. If you find my email from my web page
(wbnoble.com), I'll pass on his phone number and you can see what
arrangements you can make - so far, we've been getting between $1.25 and
$1.50 per pound depending on the alloy

I got your email, Bill.
I'll get on it in the morning!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It is a fiberglass hull.
Nothing to worry about but the dreaded polyestermites!
If you don't have framing or floors, you'll need them. You don't want the
lead bearing directly on the inner skin of the hull.

--
Ed Huntress

Actually, Ed, it's to correct a list to port because all the heavy stuff is
installed on the port side.

INCLUDING another 10 gallon fresh waster tank that I'd like to be able to
use.

Ah, yeah. I missed that in your earlier message. That's a limitation, all
right.

Still, keep it out of the ends. It's always best to keep the weight as
centered as you can. I never much liked sailing in big centerboarders
because they roll in a trough, with the weight too high and off-center.

Absolutely!
That's a good quick way to turn a good boat into a hobby horse.
Once it get's to rocking, it will never stop!

I'm very happy with the way this one sails too.
Don't want to muck it up!

What I have set up is a small stout shelf to be glassed into the hull under the
galley. Then pack some mass (120 pounds or so?) on that and bed it down with
Dow 5200. That puts it right about at the waterline - about as far outboard as
I can get it without taking up creature space.

The rest would be placed in locker space around the starboard water tank and in
the aft hold as far outboard as possible.

There is no way to have it balanced laterally under all conditions.
The main water tank is to st'bd. The holding tank to port.
That alone transfers enough weight to be noticible.

But I WOULD like to get the port water tank in service and still be about to
sail on a starboard tack!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

David Lesher wrote:
"Ed Huntress" writes:

However, the transportation cost is probably more than the cost of the lead.
You need a local source. Have you checked the scrap dealers?

Hmmmm

https://www.prioritymail.com/about_priority_mail.asp?id=17097589&ssno=27843

They have always weighed ever scrap of paper I've ever mailed.
Down to the 1/100th of an ounce.

They are going to have an entire litter of kittens if we try mailing ballast!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Sorry for the double post.
I blame it on George Killian.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

cavelamb writes:

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Melt down wheel weights from the scrap buckets at the tire store.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
cavelamb writes:

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Melt down wheel weights from the scrap buckets at the tire store.

They have figured that one out and recycle now!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

How happy are you about that swing panel with the compass and other
instruments ?
I like to keep the hatches closed if its breezy (or raining) but still like
to know where I'm going.

Michael Kellett

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 03:50:05 +0000 (UTC), the infamous David Lesher
scrawled the following:

"Ed Huntress" writes:

However, the transportation cost is probably more than the cost of the lead.
You need a local source. Have you checked the scrap dealers?

Hmmmm

https://www.prioritymail.com/about_priority_mail.asp?id=17097589&ssno=27843

That's how my little 3" machinist's vise came to me, USPSPMFRB. It's
not abuse to fill it with solid steel or lead. They _expect_ it.

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:29:21 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that "DoN. Nichols" on or
about 11 Jul 2009 00:25:47 GMT did write/type or cause to appear in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Anyway -- they were pure (soft) lead.

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

The question comes to mind - if I put a lead alloy in sea water,
and it is "differentially etched", which is differentially etched away
- the lead or the alloying material? Can I take this mess and refine
it to recover the pure lead?
Is it possible to "unalloy" an alloy at "home" (for whatever
definition of "home". Some people are barely able to hang a picture
without a trip to the store, others could probably build a working
rocket ship with just the tools in the basement and the stuff in the
garage.)?
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Let the Record show that Stuart Wheaton on or
about Fri, 10 Jul 2009 19:44:02 -0400 did write/type or cause to
cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

One advantage of Gold Bars is that they do not corrode. Another
is that it is denser 69% more dense than lead, so it would take up
less space.
You could also use coinage to make it a bit more manageable.

There is that whole "cost" issue, but here at the Alchemist
Division of Psychoceramic Labs, we're working on that problem.

tschus
pyotr
-
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 11 Jul 2009 01:48:14 -0500, cavelamb
wrote:

Sorry for the double post.
I blame it on George Killian.

Ah! good choice. About the best bang for the buck out there
price wise

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Hey Richard,

I can't believe that in the 20 odd replies, nobody bothered to mention
how GREAT the boat looks. BRISTOL!!

How much list are you seeing, and are you sure it's "ballast" you
need? Try some bags of water as a test.

I guess you could just always run only on starboard tack so your
weight helps out, or get bigger rail-meat.

Stow more "stuff" under the starboard berths/settee(s)

Put that extra water tank on the starboard side and pipe it over, and
make a simple transfer method to assist, maybe even a seawater bladder
that you can fill while running. I think that the MacGregor 26 uses
some sort of transferable water-ballast, but I've never seen it.

And a further comment about the compass "location". You can't swing a
compass to get it correct unless it is stable in place. That's why
most of the type I see on your moving panel are visible 360 degrees,
and made to be mounted in the companionway bulkhead so it is visible
from both the cockpit and the cabin. And in 4 foot sea's, best that
it is mounted so it can't whip around.

Keep any absolutely required ballast low and close to centre, or cant
the keel.

Beautiful boat, or did I mention that ?!?!

Take care.

Brian Lawson, Past Commodore LMYC.
Bothwell, Ontario.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I am NOT shipping lead in flat-rate containers. I have a conscience. d8-)

Bullet mfrs like Berry, XTreme,Meister, etc routinely ship (lead)
bullets in flat rate boxes. An order of 2000 220-grain (.45ACP)
bullets is about 62.8 lb plus packaging materials.

What do they do about the prohibition on shipping live ammunition via
USPS?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Sorry for the double post.
I blame it on George Killian.

Ah! good choice. About the best bang for the buck out there
price wise

Yes, my choice when I plan to drink excessively and want to be cheap.
When not drinking excessively I tend to go for Newcastle.