Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default seeking advise for shed project

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

I know concrete foundation is best way to go, but am wanting a way to build
this thing that I can do by my self. I don't have anyone I can impose on to
help, so would have to pay someone.....and more cost would be
difficult....The other idea I had was to build on blocks...and not sure what
is best way of doing this...I am positioning this thing in location where I
have poor drainage..heavy spring rains can result in several inches of water
in this area. I thought of digging out sod about 6" or so deep by 12" wide?
and filling with crushed limestone stuff.....compacting/leveling then
laying blocks on top and building shed on top of this...does this sound
feasible? would I cement the blocks together? also Andy I do not know what
you mean when you say galvanized holder into the corners that you concrete
and bolting the 4 x 4's onto them? can you explain please. I am in Michigan
and here there is no permit required as long as shed is under 200 sq ft.

I built an 8 x 12 shed on two rows of precast pier blocks, sitting on
leveled dirt. Put a 4 x 4 stringer on each row, then 2 x 6 joists, then
3/4" plywood floor. It was quick and easy, and hasn't deteriorated at
all in 20 years.

Must be nice to have stable soil like like that. In this neighborhood,
the thing would move every winter. And the little animals would be
lining up to move in underneath it. I'm lucky that the tax assessor in
this township is lazy. Previous Owner put the shed on a slab in an
abandoned dog pen. Works pretty well. Or maybe it doesn't count as a
foundation if it is dropped on an existing slab that is bigger than the
shed, or something. It does get a little damp inside in wet weather, but
it is a metal shed, and I don't store anything in there that is too
fussy about moisture.

--
aem sends...