Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.

[ ... ]

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

[ ... ]

They will go inside, DoN.
Packed in corners here and there in the starboard bilges.

Well ... In my father's Wianno Sr. (25' centerboard with a
partial keel and gaff rigged) the bilge was typically wet. It *was* a
wooden boat, after all, and the wet state helped keep the wood properly
swollen for good seals between boards. And it was full of lead bricks,
probably on the order of 30-50 pounds each (I never actually lifted one
-- it was typically too slimy to get a good grip on it. :-)

So -- I tend to think of all bilges as wet. :-)

It is a fiberglass hull.
Nothing to worry about but the dreaded polyestermites!

Great!

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564