Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default seeking advise for shed project

"WhiteTea" wrote in message
On Jul 10, 3:18 pm, wrote:
Planning to build a 10' X 12' storage shed and have some
questions....Right
now just want to work out plan for foundation...I want to construct this
thing so that the floor sits about 1 foot above the ground level. Do not
want to pour a concrete slab, and want a solid quality job. Here is what
I'm
thinking of doing. Oh one other thing, frost line here is 42"......I was
thinking to cut treated 4 x 4's to 60" then dig down 48" into ground at
each corner, then cementing them leaving 1' of post above ground. I plan
then put 4 x 4 posts every 4' so 12' sides would have 4 posts and I guess
just 3 posts for 10' sides with just one post in center. then bolting 2
treated 2 x 6's to posts, the top ones would be the outside floor joists.
Then using 10' 2 x 6's every 16" for rest of the floor joists. then 3/4
plywood floor. Does this seem like reasonable plan? and could I get by
with
crushed rock instead of cement for 8 non corner posts and using shorter
lengths, like 36" with just 2' in ground? Thanks, any help appreciated.

Your idea sounds good.

You might think about putting some of those galvanized holders into
the corners that you concrete and bolting the 4 x 4's onto them.

It would use a lot less wood and the wood would not have direct
contact with the ground.

Andy

Your idea sounds pretty good but it seems like overkill to me for a 10X12
shed....My 10X10 shed is built on 6X6 pressure treated skids setting on
blocks about 18 inches off the ground with vinyl lattace around it..Been a
few years now and it's still pretty pretty level..No rott , ect..Don't know
about your area but here in Maine if your shed is 100 Square feet or
less(10X10) and NOT on a foundation there is no permit , fees or setbacks ,
ect. and NO tax increase..FWIW....