Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default seeking advise for shed project

Oren wrote in
:

On Fri, 10 Jul 2009 16:08:52 -0500, "HeyBub"

Planning to build a 10' X 12' storage shed and have some
questions....Right now just want to work out plan for foundation...I
want to construct this thing so that the floor sits about 1 foot
above the ground level. Do not want to pour a concrete slab, and
want a solid quality job. Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Oh one
other thing, frost line here is 42"......I was thinking to cut
treated 4 x 4's to 60" then dig down 48" into ground at each
corner, then cementing them leaving 1' of post above ground. I plan
to then put 4 x 4 posts every 4' so 12' sides would have 4 posts and
I guess just 3 posts for 10' sides with just one post in center.
then bolting 2 treated 2 x 6's to posts, the top ones would be the
outside floor joists. Then using 10' 2 x 6's every 16" for rest of
the floor joists. then 3/4 plywood floor. Does this seem like
reasonable plan? and could I get by with crushed rock instead of
cement for 8 non corner posts and using shorter lengths, like 36"
with just 2' in ground? Thanks, any help appreciated.

I would think the wood would be a goner in a few years. You might
consider sonotubes.

Here's an alternate idea:
Post-hole dig down 4', put a 2' sonotube in the hole such that it
stick up one foot, drop some rebar down the hole and fill the thing
with concrete. After it sets a bit, poke some bolts in the concrete
with which to mount your foundation.

Good idea. Couple a samples he

http://www.allinonefoundationrepair....%20Footing.htm

Bet the guy in the blue hat was strategically selected with crawlspaces
in mind.