Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default seeking advise for shed project

wrote:
Planning to build a 10' X 12' storage shed and have some
questions....Right now just want to work out plan for foundation...I
want to construct this thing so that the floor sits about 1 foot
above the ground level. Do not want to pour a concrete slab, and want
a solid quality job. Here is what I'm thinking of doing. Oh one other
thing, frost line here is 42"......I was thinking to cut treated 4 x
4's to 60" then dig down 48" into ground at each corner, then
cementing them leaving 1' of post above ground. I plan to then put 4
x 4 posts every 4' so 12' sides would have 4 posts and I guess just 3
posts for 10' sides with just one post in center. then bolting 2
treated 2 x 6's to posts, the top ones would be the outside floor
joists. Then using 10' 2 x 6's every 16" for rest of the floor
joists. then 3/4 plywood floor. Does this seem like reasonable plan?
and could I get by with crushed rock instead of cement for 8 non
corner posts and using shorter lengths, like 36" with just 2' in
ground? Thanks, any help appreciated.

I would think the wood would be a goner in a few years. You might consider
sonotubes.

Here's an alternate idea:
Post-hole dig down 4', put a 2' sonotube in the hole such that it stick up
one foot, drop some rebar down the hole and fill the thing with concrete.
After it sets a bit, poke some bolts in the concrete with which to mount
your foundation.