Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

"cavelamb" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Boat builders out here get ingots from somewhere. I have a couple of
50-pounders from my uncle's boat. I use them for gluing weights. He had
650 pounds of lead ballast to compensate for the lighter weight of the
Caterpillar V8 diesel he had installed in his 41-footer (it was designed
for a GM 6-71), but it included some that was designed-in to adjust for
actual weight versus designed weight. Most of them were 100 pounds each.

Anyway, the alloy won't matter. Whatever is cheapest. You might check the
boatyards or builders of commercial fishing boats in your area to see
where they get it.

--
Ed Huntress

There ain't no cheapest, Ed.
Best price I've seen on the web so far is almost $2 a pound.

And bricks? Man, we are in the wrong business what ever it is.

Richard

If you've read the old boatbuilding books, you know that making your own
ingots is not a big deal. Start walking down the shoulders of highways and
collect wheel weights. You ought to have enough if you walk, oh, maybe 5,000
miles. g I bicycled thousands of miles when I was a teenager and I always
had my eyes glued to the shoulder, looking for wheel weights. I probably had
30 or 40 pounds of them at one time.

Seriously, I probably have as much lead as you need, and little use for it.
I have at least 200 pounds; the two 50 lb. bricks and the rest in the form
of big banks sinkers for fishing. How much is eight coffee cans full? g

However, the transportation cost is probably more than the cost of the lead.
You need a local source. Have you checked the scrap dealers?

--
Ed Huntress