Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
cavelamb cavelamb is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

Ed Huntress wrote:
"cavelamb" wrote in message
m...
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Boat builders out here get ingots from somewhere. I have a couple of
50-pounders from my uncle's boat. I use them for gluing weights. He had 650
pounds of lead ballast to compensate for the lighter weight of the
Caterpillar V8 diesel he had installed in his 41-footer (it was designed for
a GM 6-71), but it included some that was designed-in to adjust for actual
weight versus designed weight. Most of them were 100 pounds each.

Anyway, the alloy won't matter. Whatever is cheapest. You might check the
boatyards or builders of commercial fishing boats in your area to see where
they get it.

--
Ed Huntress

There ain't no cheapest, Ed.
Best price I've seen on the web so far is almost $2 a pound.

And bricks? Man, we are in the wrong business what ever it is.

Richard