Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

On 2009-07-10, cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Well ... there used to be plumber's lead for melting in a pot
heated by a blowtorch, and used to fill joints in cast iron sewer pipe.

I don't know whether that is still made, but there still should
be someone who knows about it at least. IIRC, the ingots were about
twenty pounds each. I know that as a kid (late 1940s or early 1950s), I
was unable to lift one. They may have been as much as fifty pounds
each, but I don't think so.

Anyway -- they were pure (soft) lead.

You probably want pure lead too, as alloys kept under water are
likely to be differentially etched by the water -- especially if it is
at all acidic.

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

I'm not there -- and I don't have the scraps anyway.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564