Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stuart Wheaton Stuart Wheaton is offline

Default Lead or gold for ballast anyone???

cavelamb wrote:
Ok, I'm getting her better balanced now.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~capri26/

Moving the movable stuff around helps, but most of my
installed heaviness is to port.
And I can't use the port water tanks right now without
inducing a serious list.

I need about 200 to 250 pounds of lead (or gold?) bars.

Metal World wants to know what alloy, size and shape I need.

I'm clueless as to lead alloys.

Are there standard bar shapes and sizes?

Or even better, anybody near Dallas Area have any scraps to sell?

Alloy really doesn't matter. bullet lead works great, as do wheel
weights. Find an indoor shooting range, take 4 or 5 5 gallon buckets,
fill them about 40% full, Pay scrap lead price. Make a small ingot mold
of steel angle or c-channel, melt and pour.