Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

In article ,
blueman wrote:

Oren writes:

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:35:07 -0400, blueman wrote:

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...

It's for the children.

http://www.handiramp.com/WW-Covers.htm

This solution seems to be based around a metal grate which would
obviously not keep water/snow out.

Also, it seems mostly designed to protect people from falling into
below ground window wells. My well is maybe only 2-3 inches below
grade so I don't need the safety part as much as the weather & window
protection.

All right, here you go. Keep in mind I've only had one cup of coffee so
far ... Take one of those giant inflatable exercise balls, and cover it
with a few layers of fiberglass, or carbon fiber pre-preg if you're
really ambitious. Then saw it into quarters, and you've got four strong,
lightweight, frameless window well guards.