Home Repair (alt.home.repair) For all homeowners and DIYers with many experienced tradesmen. Solve your toughest home fix-it problems.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 798
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...
  #2   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 22,192
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:35:07 -0400, blueman wrote:

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...


It's for the children.

http://www.handiramp.com/WW-Covers.htm

  #3   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 798
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

Oren writes:

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:35:07 -0400, blueman wrote:

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...


It's for the children.

http://www.handiramp.com/WW-Covers.htm


This solution seems to be based around a metal grate which would
obviously not keep water/snow out.

Also, it seems mostly designed to protect people from falling into
below ground window wells. My well is maybe only 2-3 inches below
grade so I don't need the safety part as much as the weather & window
protection.
  #4   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,040
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

In article ,
blueman wrote:

Oren writes:

On Thu, 09 Jul 2009 16:35:07 -0400, blueman wrote:

I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...


It's for the children.

http://www.handiramp.com/WW-Covers.htm


This solution seems to be based around a metal grate which would
obviously not keep water/snow out.

Also, it seems mostly designed to protect people from falling into
below ground window wells. My well is maybe only 2-3 inches below
grade so I don't need the safety part as much as the weather & window
protection.


All right, here you go. Keep in mind I've only had one cup of coffee so
far ... Take one of those giant inflatable exercise balls, and cover it
with a few layers of fiberglass, or carbon fiber pre-preg if you're
really ambitious. Then saw it into quarters, and you've got four strong,
lightweight, frameless window well guards.
  #5   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,482
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

on 7/9/2009 4:35 PM (ET) blueman wrote the following:
I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.


I like your lean-to idea, but I would just get the 1/4" lexan sheets and
the appropriate lexan cement and glue the slant top to the sides. I
would also put a 2" wide lexan brace across the back top, where the
lean-to sits against the wall, for side to side strength.

But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...



--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @


  #6   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 798
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

willshak writes:
on 7/9/2009 4:35 PM (ET) blueman wrote the following:
I need a basement window well cover to provide protection from both
water/snow and from stray basketballs (the windows are near our
basketball hoop).

I have previously purchased the "better" quality MacCourt plastic well
covers at Lowes but despite their 10 year warranty, they tend to
shatter after a couple of winters and repeated basketball
strikes. Plus they aren't particularly nice looking or sturdy and they
don't fit that great (since they are 1 size fits all...)

So, I am looking for suggestions on how to build my own custom window
well covers.

I would like to satisfy the following design parameters:
- Keep (most) water/snow out
- Strong enough not to be damaged by basketball impact (and other
things kids do)
- Able to survive many heat/thaw cycles (New England winters &
summers)
- Let maximum light in
- Look good on an Italian mansard house
- Easy to move/remove to get access to the well but solid enough not
to be budged by snow or errant basketballs

I have been thinking of building a lean-two like frame out of 1x1 PT
wood and then cover it with Lexan.


I like your lean-to idea, but I would just get the 1/4" lexan sheets
and the appropriate lexan cement and glue the slant top to the
sides. I would also put a 2" wide lexan brace across the back top,
where the lean-to sits against the wall, for side to side strength.


I think you are right -- over the weekend I was mulling over it and
realized it would be a much neater design to eliminate the wood frame
and just have a nice transparent Lexan/plexiglass frame.

I'm now debating between using thinner (but stronger) Lexan sheets
vs. thicker Plexiglass sheets to get the same overall strength.
Plexiglass tends to be cheaper plus the thicker sheets should give a
stronger/broader glue line.

Any thoughts?


But I would love to hear alternatives plus get more detailed
suggestions on design & materials including what to use for the frame,
what to use for the skin, what fasteners, etc...



--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
To email, remove the double zeroes after @

  #7   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,595
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

blueman wrote:

-snip-
I'm now debating between using thinner (but stronger) Lexan sheets
vs. thicker Plexiglass sheets to get the same overall strength.
Plexiglass tends to be cheaper plus the thicker sheets should give a
stronger/broader glue line.

Any thoughts?


I haven't compared them in a long time, and all plexi-glass is not
created equal. . . but . . .

When I last looked plexi was more likely to scratch and yellow in
sunlight than Lexan--- but the solvent glue for plexi was stronger.
Check with a window place- they can probably give you a better deal
than the big-box store and you can get some nice clean cuts on it.

I'd lean towards screwing the plastic to an aluminum frame. Aluminum
angle is less obtrusive and stronger than lumber. A bead of silicon
should waterproof it, and if that basketball breaks one panel you
don't have to start over.

Jim
  #8   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5,149
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
blueman wrote:

-snip-
I'm now debating between using thinner (but stronger) Lexan sheets
vs. thicker Plexiglass sheets to get the same overall strength.
Plexiglass tends to be cheaper plus the thicker sheets should give a
stronger/broader glue line.

Any thoughts?


I haven't compared them in a long time, and all plexi-glass is not
created equal. . . but . . .

When I last looked plexi was more likely to scratch and yellow in
sunlight than Lexan--- but the solvent glue for plexi was stronger.
Check with a window place- they can probably give you a better deal
than the big-box store and you can get some nice clean cuts on it.

I'd lean towards screwing the plastic to an aluminum frame. Aluminum
angle is less obtrusive and stronger than lumber. A bead of silicon
should waterproof it, and if that basketball breaks one panel you
don't have to start over.

Jim

Sudden visual pops into my head- what a way to recycle the pilot
canopies from the Viper fighter craft off Battlestar Galactica.

--
aem sends...
  #9   Report Post  
Posted to alt.home.repair
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,644
Default Suggestions for durable window well cover

had one of these troubles once, added drainage to the windowell, and a
metal grate from a steel supplier, it lays just in the well.

all of your specks fail to mention ventilation a important detail at
times
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hot tub cover suggestions Jason Home Ownership 4 May 25th 06 07:40 PM
How to cover top of cavity at window cill? John Stumbles UK diy 5 March 26th 06 10:30 PM
window well cover Konyoman Home Repair 3 July 11th 05 03:04 PM
Ground cover suggestions please [email protected] Home Repair 11 December 2nd 04 05:35 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about DIY & home improvement"