Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default Nuisance youths

"John" wrote

John wrote:
I seem to have started to attract some door bell ringing from the
local youths on the skulk home from school. I ignore it - but it has
escalated into them coming up to the windows and knocking on them (to
really impress their mates)

I am thinking of leaving a video camera running in the house -
positioned in such a way that no-one just walking past on the
pavement will be caught in shot. Then if I get a picture of a face at
the window I can show it to my local Community Police Boy.

Any legal issues that you can imagine? Anyone at the window will be
15 feet onto my property.

Do you not have a wall/fence/gate?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Not permitted - open plan fronts in deeds.

Our property has similar restrictions.
When we moved in (2002) there were 20' high blue lawson conifers right round
the boundary which overhung the highway footpath by upto 6'. Made it
impassable in places. Many other properties also have hedges on the
boundary although not as unruly as ours.
We have since had all the conifers removed, and replaced some with fencing
and some with more decorative hedging. Our deeds also exclude the erection
of fencing and hedging on the boundary, but my understanding is that this
would be a condition made by the builder to try to keep the area "all the
same" during the development phase. The fact that our actions removed
overgrown and obstructive fir trees and cleared the adjacent path we saw as
a positive, as did all of our neighbours. In our area, planning permission
is necessary to erect a fence within 2m of a boundary. This permission was
obtained with the condition that the fence is set 500mm from the boundary
and agreed planting scheme adopted between fence and public footpath.

I suspect that it would be possible for the erecton of the fence to be
challenged based on the original stipulation in the deeds, but I believe
that this would involve the complainant registering the issue with the
original builder. As the place was built 30 years ago, he's probably hung
up his trowel long since - IANAL!!!

Phil