Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Correct Leveler/Filler for Vinyl Tile?

Josh wrote in news:c83afbcf-46d9-45ba-9940-
:

I plan to lay new 12" self-stick vinyl tile over the 50 year old 9"
vinyl tiles in my kitchen. As you might imagine, the old tiles have
accumulated a few deep cuts, gouges and small holes, probably from
moving appliances in and out. I doubt the new vinyl tiles will reveal
imperfections in the floor underneath as much as sheet vinyl flooring
does, but I'd still like to fill in the problem areas before laying
the new tiles.

I looked at the flooring leveling products (Henry brand?) at Home
Depot. Most say they work fine for wood and concrete, but none
mention that they work on vinyl.

Anyone out there have experience leveling out vinyl tiles? Would the
levelers that were designed with wood and concrete in mind also work
on vinyl?

I've successfuly use the Henry Universal Patch and Skimcoat on vinyl
flooring many times. I scrub, with a brush, and rinse it very well
beforehand.

Depending on temp and humidity, you've got 10-30 minutes before it starts
to set. I found using refrigerated water gives me more time. Once down
you still have another hour or so to "shave" it with a putty knife.