Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Correct Leveler/Filler for Vinyl Tile?

I plan to lay new 12" self-stick vinyl tile over the 50 year old 9"
vinyl tiles in my kitchen. As you might imagine, the old tiles have
accumulated a few deep cuts, gouges and small holes, probably from
moving appliances in and out. I doubt the new vinyl tiles will reveal
imperfections in the floor underneath as much as sheet vinyl flooring
does, but I'd still like to fill in the problem areas before laying
the new tiles.

I looked at the flooring leveling products (Henry brand?) at Home
Depot. Most say they work fine for wood and concrete, but none
mention that they work on vinyl.

Anyone out there have experience leveling out vinyl tiles? Would the
levelers that were designed with wood and concrete in mind also work
on vinyl?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 21:52:47 -0700 (PDT), Josh
wrote:

I plan to lay new 12" self-stick vinyl tile over the 50 year old 9"
vinyl tiles in my kitchen. As you might imagine, the old tiles have
accumulated a few deep cuts, gouges and small holes, probably from
moving appliances in and out. I doubt the new vinyl tiles will reveal
imperfections in the floor underneath as much as sheet vinyl flooring
does, but I'd still like to fill in the problem areas before laying
the new tiles.

I looked at the flooring leveling products (Henry brand?) at Home
Depot. Most say they work fine for wood and concrete, but none
mention that they work on vinyl.

Anyone out there have experience leveling out vinyl tiles? Would the
levelers that were designed with wood and concrete in mind also work
on vinyl?

Take a look at Armstrong S194 and S195; you should be able to find
those.

You will find that the tiniest imperfections will telegraph over time,
even with tiles, so take the time to get it really smooth.

HTH,

Paul F.

"correct" way to prep walls for tile in shower? [email protected] Home Repair 18 December 14th 17 08:33 AM
Tile over vinyl shel Home Repair 6 July 8th 06 01:46 PM
Vinyl tile over vinyl tile Platebanger Home Repair 4 November 26th 05 07:01 PM
Correct order to fit a bathroom and then tile? Brian UK diy 2 July 23rd 05 04:37 PM
Vinyl tile over sheet vinyl residue? Donald Gares Home Repair 1 July 5th 05 05:50 PM