Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default can't remove a faucet

On Mon, 6 Jul 2009 15:45:39 -0400, "BetaB4"
wrote:

Jud McCranie wrote:
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 12:27:31 -0400, Jud McCranie
wrote:

One of the faucets to the hoses of our washing machine started
leaking.

I tightened the nut on the top and it almost quit leaking. A little
water forms on the outside but not enough to drip. It seems OK for
the time being.

My thanks to everyone who helped,

Based on what you wrote, you appear to have it almost fixed.

The nut that you tightened on the top compresses some paking that is around
the shaft and underneath the nut. Compressing that packing seals the leak.

You could try loosening the nut all the way and looking at what is
underneath the nut. You can buy teflon "valve stem thread" or "valve stem
packing" (I forget exactly what it is called) at any hardware store etc. --
in the plumbing repair area. Then, loosen the nut, wrap a little of the
packing thread around the shaft under the nut, then tighten the nut. That
should stop the leak completely.

Probably shoudl remove the old stuff first when doing that, right?

The stuff I had was about an eigth of an inch in diameter. Should I
have squished the overlap together before putting the nut back on.